Animal Bodywork Insurance Guide

Q: Do I need my own animal bodywork insurance for animal therapy services if I rent space or work at clients' homes?

A: We recommend that, as an independent contractor/self-employed animal therapy professional, you have your own insurance. Since most landlords who rent space do not provide insurance for independent contractors, you could be risking your income and professional reputation by not having insurance.

Q: When should I buy animal bodywork liability insurance?

A: Since many landlords request that you carry your own coverage if you are self-employed, even before you provide animal massage or animal therapy services at their location, you should consider buying insurance when you are actively pursuing a location, or even if you are currently at a location providing service. With Alternative Balance, you can choose when you want your policy to start and purchase instantly online when you are ready!

Q: Where can I find the best rates for liability insurance in the field of animal bodywork and massage?

The most AFFORDABLE rates are provided by national associations or groups because of the large number of professionals in the association and their flexibility to cover all 50 states. To save even more money, be part of an association that covers several services on one plan and that offers part-time, discounted rates. Alternative Balance Professional Group offers comprehensive coverage for all your services on one policy, which is available online 24/7. Customize the coverage you need and enjoy our Member Benefit Suites!

Q: What are the types of liability I should have?

A:The most common types of liability for a  are professional and general liability.

Professional Liability, also known as malpractice, protects you and your business for loss or expense resulting from claims of professional errors, mistakes, or failure to perform professional duties committed or alleged to have been committed by the insured in his or her professional activities.

General Liability is a form of insurance designed to protect practitioners from liability exposures arising out of accidents resulting from the premises, such as a slip and fall.

Q:  How much coverage (insurance) should I have?

A: The most common plans include professional and general liability which includes $2-3 million annual aggregate and are either occurrence or claim-based programs.

Q: What is claims made coverage and how is it different from occurrence coverage?

A:  Claims made policies provide liability coverage that is triggered when a written claim is made during the policy period or any applicable extended reporting period, regardless of when the covered accident took place. Occurrence policies provide coverage for covered accidents that occur during the policy period, regardless of when the claim is filed.

Q: How quickly can I get insurance coverage and proof?

A: If purchased online, most association applications are approved instantly or in as little as 2-3 business days. Several associations do not offer same day processing by phone or mail, so check with the association representatives about how long it may take if you choose this method. With Alternative Balance, you can apply online and receive instant approval! Your insurance coverage is less than 10 minutes away.

APPLY NOW- Instant Coverage!

Q: How do I know if the insurance carrier is stable and legitimate?

A: You can review the rating of any insurance carrier by visiting rating agencies such as A.M. Best Company, Standard & Poor’s, or Weiss Rating. Look for an “A” rating or better.

Q: How do I know if I am legally able to professionally offer animal bodywork services?

A: In the U.S. many states have licensing requirements for massage therapists, which can include animal therapy services. Each state has its own guidelines, but most states require animal therapists to complete recognized training programs prior to applying for licenses, and some states require that services be performed under the supervision of a licensed veterinarian.

We do not assume any responsibility for state laws that may change or exist without our knowledge. Check with your state's licensing board to verify any specific requirements they may have.