Bodywork Insurance Guide

Q: Do I need my own bodywork insurance for bodywork services if I rent space or work at clients' homes?

A: We recommend that, as an independent contractor/self-employed bodywork professional, you have your own insurance. Since most landlords who rent space do not provide insurance for independent contractors, you could be risking your income and professional reputation by not having insurance.

Q: When should I buy bodywork liability insurance?

A: Since many landlords request that you carry your own coverage if you are self-employed, even before you provide bodywork services at their location, you should consider buying insurance when you are actively pursuing a location, or even if you are currently at a location providing service. With Alternative Balance, you can choose when you want your policy to start and purchase instantly online when you are ready!

Q: Where can I find the best rates for liability insurance in the field of bodywork?

The most AFFORDABLE rates are provided by national associations or groups because of the large number of professionals in the association and their flexibility to cover all 50 states. To save even more money, be part of an association that covers several services on one plan and that offers part-time, discounted rates. Alternative Balance Professional Group offers comprehensive coverage for all your services on one policy, which is available online 24/7. Customize the coverage you need and enjoy our Member Benefit Suites!  

Q: What are the types of liability I should have? 

A:The most common types of liability for a  are professional and general liability.

Professional Liability, also known as malpractice, protects you and your business for loss or expense resulting from claims of professional errors, mistakes, or failure to perform professional duties committed or alleged to have been committed by the insured in his or her professional activities. 

General Liability is a form of insurance designed to protect practitioners from liability exposures arising out of accidents resulting from the premises, such as a slip and fall. 

Q:  How much coverage (insurance) should I have? 

A: The most common plans include professional and general liability which includes $2-3 million annual aggregate and are either occurrence or claim-based programs. 

Q: What is claims made coverage and how is it different from occurrence coverage? 

A:  Claims made policies provide liability coverage that is triggered when a written claim is made during the policy period or any applicable extended reporting period, regardless of when the covered accident took place. Occurrence policies provide coverage for covered accidents that occur during the policy period, regardless of when the claim is filed. 

Q: How quickly can I get insurance coverage and proof?

 A: If purchased online, most association applications are approved instantly or in as little as 2-3 business days. Several associations do not offer same day processing by phone or mail, so check with the association representatives about how long it may take if you choose this method. With Alternative Balance, you can apply online and receive instant approval! Your insurance coverage is less than 10 minutes away.

APPLY NOW- Instant Coverage!

Q: How do I know if the insurance carrier is stable and legitimate?

A: You can review the rating of any insurance carrier by visiting rating agencies such as A.M. Best Company, Standard & Poor’s, or Weiss Rating. Look for an “A” rating or better. Our insurance carrier has an A+ rating from A.M. Best – the #1 insurance rating system in the country.

Q: How do I know if I am legally able to professionally offer bodywork services?

A: In the U.S. many states have licensing requirements for massage therapists, which can include bodywork services. Each state has its own guidelines, but most states require massage therapists to complete recognized training programs prior to applying for licenses. While this might not apply to bodywork specifically, it is important to verify this with your state's licensing board to be sure. Be aware that even though bodywork is similar to massage therapy, states may or may not consider them the same work and may refer to them as separate licenses. 

We do not assume any responsibility for state laws that may change or exist without our knowledge. Check with your state's licensing board to verify any specific requirements they may have.

Buy Now Button

Bodywork Insurance


See All Industries

Member Benefits Highlight Insert

Member Benefits

We offer more than just insurance. Our membership benefits include discounts on health & dental insurance, form templates to help you run your business and tools to manage your websites, marketing and more!

Explore Benefit Suites